Friday, July 18, 2014

Because you can!


Today when I was racing against the clock up a hill that has been my nemesis, I was reminded of something my first sensei used to say to motivate us during class. He would give us a moment to breathe partway through a particularly hellacious Black Belt Members' (BBM) class to provide some motivation. BBM classes were for black belt members, students who had made the commitment to get their black belt. You wore a red gi (uniform) and got to participate in BBM classes which were always grueling, in a fun way of course. My first sensei gave wickedly challenging cardio and plyometric workouts but he was not usually given to insightful comments. But this was an exception and it stuck with me. As a method of motivating us, he said, (I’m paraphrasing) “remember, not everyone can work out like this”.

I have used these words myself in classes when there is considerable groaning at the difficulty of the workout and I am reminded of it often when I’m riding my bike and putting myself through unnecessary pain. They are potent words. Some people can’t work out because of illness, injuries, health problems, or disabilities. There are any number of other reasons that not everyone is able to work themselves to the point of exhaustion. 

I met a woman outside a gas/convenience stop in Woodstock who told me she used to be me. I played along and said "Really?" Then she clarified, “I used to be like you”. She said she used to ride a hundred miles in a day all the time. She and her friend. It brought back fond memories, she said. My question was going to be why did you stop? But she answered before I could ask it. She said she had medical issues that prevented her from riding any more. I was struck by this. Of course you couldn’t tell by looking at her that anything was wrong, which is so often the case. It’s sad when your mind is willing but your body is unable. For too many folks it is the converse: their body is able but they are not willing. That is sad too in a different way. The upside is that the mind can be changed.

Training can be hard, the mental challenge being the biggest roadblock. I don’t have to do it, why put myself through all that discomfort, the effort, the pain. This evening I was attacking a favourite climb and every pedal stroke hurt more as the road got steeper. I could back off, I could stop and rest, or I could keep pushing. Why am I inflicting this unnecessary pain? I knew the answer: Because I can. I kept on going and almost fell off my bike once I reached the top, panting for air. I am grateful that I am able to do this. I consider myself one of the lucky ones and I don't want to let it got to waste.

So for those who do not belong to either of these two categories - willing mind but unable, or able but unwilling – those who fill the space between, remind yourself next time you are battling over whether or not to train, that you do it because you can. It is a sobering yet powerful motivator.

No comments:

Post a Comment