Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Spicy pasta soup


For me, soup is the winter equivalent of the salad. Warm and nourishing with plenty of vegetables, soup is a great alternative to raw salad when the weather is cold. I found this recipe for spicy pasta soup that is great as is or you can add your own choice of vegetables. Best of all, it is easy to make!

2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 red chili, seeded and finely sliced
1 28 oz can whole plum tomatoes, with juice
1 litre vegetable stock
4 ounces/28 g macaroni or bowtie pasta
1/4 cup basil
  1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and chili, and saute until softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and vegetable stock. Cover, bring to a boil, then remove the lid and simmer 5 minutes.
  2. Add the pasta and simmer until just al dente, 6-8 minutes, depending on the pasta you use. Stir in the basil and remove from heat.
I added 4 hot chilies because I had plenty of chilies on hand and I like heat. I substituted rotini for macaroni pasta and I would put less in next time; it really expands as it absorbs the liquid and ends up being more pasta than soup. But it was very tasty regardless! I also added carrots and celery. You could also use olives, spinach and/or mushrooms, depending on your personal tastes. And of course, if you are gluten-free, omit the pasta entirely. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment