Monday, January 19, 2015

Musings on mobility and movement weekend


I spent this past weekend at a seminar presented by Agatsu of Montreal learning about lower body mobility. This is the fourth Agatsu seminar I have attended and I am certain there will be more because they have so much to offer. In November 2013, I took their Kettlebell Certification course at a Victory Crossfit Gym in Ottawa. In February 2014 I took their 5-day Intensive Training course in Montreal at their gym. In September 2014 I took their Upper Body Mobility and Movement Seminar in Ottawa. And finally the Lower Body Mobility and Movement Seminar at the same venue in Ottawa.

Needless to say, I am sold on Agatsu. They are a 2-person operation comprised of Shawn Mozen and Sara-Claire Lajeunesse, true masters of movement. They do not call themselves this but they really are. Their knowledge and ability to share their knowledge, and of course, their physical abilities, are first-rate. I consider myself lucky to have such good teachers.

The primary lesson learned is that anything is possible if you want it badly enough. Pick a skill, any skill that you are passionate about, and if your body is fully functional, you will get there. It is only a matter of patience and consistent practice. Any skill, no matter how complex begins with a simple movement. As you master the simple movement, you layer on a more complex movement, and gradually, you will achieve the skill you are seeking. This applies to any physical discipline be it bodyweight, kettlebells, clubbells, martial arts, gymnastics, lifting, surfing, dance, parcour and the list goes on.

The devil is in the details. In physical movement, it is often the small details that make the biggest difference. Therefore learning proper technique with careful attention to detail is important to achieving any skill. The details are not there for detail’s sake, they are there for a reason. If one person does something one way, and someone else does it another way, both might be correct if both have sound reasoning for what they do. There is more than one way to the top of the mountain. However, sometimes one way risks getting you killed while the other one will get you to the top safely.

Safety must come first. What’s the point in training if you’re going to get injured? If you learn how to execute exercises with proper form, you will avoid injury and your rate of progress will be faster. This is why the ability to perform basic movements will bodyweight alone, is a precursor to adding load. The risk of failure is reduced when you have sound basics.

Mobility and flexibility are the first step to safety. Mobility practice should precede all physical activities. Joint mobility is the practice of moving each joint in its given ranges of motion to increase the degree of that range. It can be a means of pre-habilitation, rehabilitation, post-habilitation, workout warm-up and enhancing athletic performance. If you perform consistent mobility practice, your need for rehabilitation has been significantly reduced if not eliminated.

Mobility practice must take place in all 3 planes because life occurs in all planes. You cannot predict what life is going to throw at you so you must prepare yourself for all possibilities. The three planes include: sagittal (front/back), frontal (left/right), and transverse (rotational). We should train all aspects of movement such as strength, balance, speed, flexibility, mobility, and endurance as well as developing the skills to express these attributes in all planes of motion.

The CST system developed by Scott Sonnon talks about 6 planes of movement. In addition to the 3 mentioned, he adds: rolling (bending sideways), pitching forward and backward as in a backbend, and heaving (moving up and down as in a squat). These are valid and important planes but all could arguably fall under one of the main three.

I have been very lucky finding instructors of the highest calibre in my fields of interest: martial arts and physical fitness. As I develop my own skills, my intention is to pass on what I have learned to others with similar interests. And as I do this, I remind myself that I am also very lucky to be healthy and fit so that I can do what I love to do: keep improving my movement and help others so the same. Here’s to healthy and prosperous 2015!



No comments:

Post a Comment