Thursday, March 26, 2015

What do you have to lose? Or gain!


I have been teaching fitness classes at Stronger You since they opened their new location on Strandherd Drive in November 2014. To use the word "classes" at this point is a stretch since there are usually only one or two participants in each one. Nevertheless, it is my passion to share my knowledge of movement and fitness with others that drives me to continue in spite of the low turnout. Helping a handful of people to improve themselves is still something.

I seek to motivate and inspire others to discover the joys of exercise. Most people, women especially, are much stronger than they think. We buy into the lie that says we are weak and it has a detrimental effect on our attitude about strength training. Those who believe the lie are defeated before they even start. Exercise is hard work, but it can be made fun with the right approach.

This winter my niece started attending the bodyweight fitness class. Once a week is the best she could manage with a husband and two small children at home and holding down a full-time job. She also practices some of the exercises on her at home. I have been consistently impressed with her ability to execute difficult movements and with her “no quit” attitude. And she always has a smile on her face! In class she often mentions, off-handedly, the benefits she has noticed since starting fitness class. So when I asked her if she would write down her thoughts about the last two months, she kindly obliged.

The following is her heartfelt testimonial:

Working out with Sally on Wednesday nights for the last two months has been challenging but also really fun. I have always been a person who dreads working out. I would start a routine, swear I was going to stick with it and then after a couple weeks, I would give it up. Not anymore! I wouldn’t give up my time with Sally for anything. With a 4 year old and a 10 month old at home, it can be hard to get away but I make sure I make it to every class. Within a few sessions, I could see muscles where I had none before and I even lost a few pounds. I am down a couple notches on my belt and my clothes fit better than ever. The most important thing, though, is that my energy level has greatly improved. It is so nice to be able to keep up with my kids and I enjoy my time with them that much more. We now have spontaneous dance parties in our living room! I do squats and other exercises holding my baby just for fun. I run up the stairs two at a time. My husband tells me daily how great I look and it has inspired him to get in shape as well. I can’t thank Sally enough. I started going to her classes to lose a couple pounds and instead I got so much more in return than I could have ever imagined. I am no longer the person that dreads working out. I now strive to be the best me I can be, in every way. It has been a complete lifestyle change and it is amazing.

When I read this, I was moved beyond words. This makes what I do worthwhile. Thank you Diana (pronounced Dee-anna) for being so amazing. I hope others will take your lead. But even if they don’t, I can still look at you and feel very proud.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome testimonial. Somehow I'm not surprised! :-) Keep up the good work, Sensei Sally!

    ReplyDelete