Monday, February 10, 2014

Addicted to the Olympics?


What to do when the Olympics have begun and you have to study for the first week they are on?
In the past, I have been a confessed Olympics junkie. Summer and winter. I am mainly interested in the individual competitions; the team sports less so, with one obvious exception: hockey! I am not an everyday hockey fan but I can get right into watching Olympic hockey, men’s and especially women’s.  Usually I am up to date on what is happening and when my favourite events are going to take place but this year I am completely out of the loop. I haven’t even seen the opening ceremonies or any of the early competitions yet.

Come to think of it, at the 2010 Olympics, which were probably the best ever, I even enjoyed watching the curling. I think Vancouver did an incredible job of hosting. Maybe the bad press that has surrounded Sochi is affecting my attitude as well. And my TV watching in general is much less, so I haven’t been exposed to all the hype that can get you excited for the Olympics.

Two things are different this year: one is my impending final exam and the other is I do not have to go to work. This is ironic: the first time the Olympics are being held since I retired from the government and I won’t be able to watch. It doesn’t help that my other half has no interest in them. I am looking into live streaming Olympic coverage on my laptop. Then I will be able to sneak in an event or two in between studying and hubby can watch whatever he likes on TV uninterrupted. That being said, he will likely want to watch most of the hockey games if Canada does well.

It does seem like it is mostly women who are watching which I find curious. Maybe it is because in the Olympics there are both men’s events and women’s events. In professional sports there is so much emphasis on men’s sports only: football, soccer, baseball, hockey, basketball and so on. Expert commentators and program hosts are equally male and female as well.

The second week of the Olympics, I will be in Montreal training from Monday to Friday with the Agatsu trainers. Agatsu is the group who best known for training in kettlebell and functional fitness instructor certifications across Canada. They are the best of the best. If they had kettlebells in the Olympics, these guys and gals would have gold medals. I am super hyped about it but a little annoyed that it conflicts with the Olympics. With any luck I will not be too tired in the evening to take in a little Olympic action.

As of this morning, Canada has 5 medals, the same number as the U.S.! Norway is in the lead with 7.  I watched a little bit of downhill skiing, ski jumping and luge. All told less than half an hour. I noticed the CBC website has a timeline with Canadian flags and sports icon indicating when Canada will be competing. OMG, short track speed skating finals are on right now. I must go and watch! Speed skating is my all-time favourite Olympic armchair sport. Wait, Canadian Charles Hamelin has won the men's 1500 metres. I will have to catch the replay! More men's and women's short track is coming up.

Comment if you are watching and if so, what are your favourite sports? Enjoy the next two weeks!!



No comments:

Post a Comment