Monday, February 24, 2014

Reflections for a Monday

Holding the pull-up position
The last two weeks have been a whirlwind of activity, personally and internationally. I spent the second week of February cramming for my final exam. And the third week training at the Agatsu Academy in Montreal. All the while Winterlude is taking place in Ottawa and the Olympic Games are drawing the world’s attention to Sochi, Russia. I felt cut off from the outside world. All self-inflicted of course. But I caught up a bit this weekend, watching the bobsleigh, some of the new skiing events, long track speed skating (my favourite) and highlights of the gold medal hockey games. I also enjoyed watching Olympic Prime time with Ron McLean chatting with Kelly Vanderbeek and Adam van Koeverden about the day’s events.

The exam seems like a distant memory. When you pack a lot into a short period of time, strangely, it feels like more time has passed. Sure time flies when you’re having fun, but it also slows. I remember a vacation I took to Costa Rica that was only ten days long. But my friend and I had a lot on planned: seeing the mountainous rain forest, zip lining, horse-back riding, visiting an active volcano, going to the coast for a 4-day sea kayaking trip, and spending a day hiking near the coastal town of Montezuma. That 10 days felt like a month! This last five spent in Montreal left me with a similar feeling: that so much had been packed in, more than 5 days must have passed.

Although I took away many lessons from the training, one that stands out is goal setting. Some people have too many goals, or worse, no goals at all. If you want to succeed, it is best to have goals, but you have to prioritize them and plan how you are going to achieve them. Then of course, put the plan into action. I think I have had too many goals and have not been sure how to reach them, so I will have to choose one or two, three maximum if I hope to be successful. One should be the primary goal. I have written it down and I will cross it off once it is achieved, and the second goal will become the primary goal, and the third will become second, and then I will set two or three new goals, and so on.

Right now my primary goal is to be able to do pistol squats. Right now I am working on getting one. I can lower myself to a deep squat but I cannot get all the way up. My second is pull-ups. My goal is 10 good pullups. This is no small goal. Pull-ups are very difficult. Third is holding a mid-air handstand for more than 10 seconds. I chose these goals based on the requirements for Level II kettlebell certification with Agatsu. You have to be able to perform these skills to pass. But they are also skills I would love to have anyway. I have the map to get there. Now all I have to do is put in the work. Training starts today!

What are your goals? Do you have a plan in place to achieve them? 


No comments:

Post a Comment