Thursday, February 6, 2014

Crazy about smoothies!



Well I didn’t think I would be back to this topic so soon, but I am just loving the Vitamix and wanted to share a few recipes with you that I’ve already tried and love. For me, the whole point of buying a blender was to get more greens in my diet. I eat a lot of salads but still feel I could increase my intake of greens. The fruit is added for vitamins and sweetening. If you have kids, the fruit can be used to change the colour to make the drink more visually appealing. This morning I added strawberries, kefir and powdered Sea Vegetables and it came out looking pale purple. You can see it in the picture above.

The first recipe is a sort of dessert. I thought it was delicious but it didn’t pass the hubby test. I wonder if he would have liked it better without the lemon juice. It’s different eating a green pudding but if you haven’t already made up your mind before you taste it, you will love it!

Avocado Banana Smoothie Recipe
Author: healthy smoothie recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time:  10 mins
Cook time:  10 mins
Total time:  20 mins
Serves: 2

Ingredients
·         1 cup chopped fresh spinach
·         1 frozen banana
·         1 avocado (ripe, halved pitted and peeled)
·         1 cup coconut water
·         2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Instructions
1.        Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until rich and creamy.
2.        This mixture fills two large glasses.

The next one is called “The sweet lettuce smoothie” and it comes out of the Whole Foods Recipe binder that came with the blender. This made 2 cups which I had all to myself.

1 cup green grapes
1 cup romaine lettuce (I used baby Romaine), if you use mature lettuce you should wash it and chop it first
½ a medium apple halved (I used the whole apple)
1 cup ice cubes (I used water because nutrients are absorbed better when they are consumed warm or at room temperature)

Here is one more I am excited to try but I am out of frozen bananas. It’s called Choc-Mint Pattie.

2 frozen bananas
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 cup ice cubes
 2 drops pure peppermint essential oil
2 tbsp agave nectar
1 ½ cups almond milk
1 cup torn kale

I even have the peppermint oil already from when I made my own toothpaste. I’ll be buying more bananas next time I shop… and not the red under-ripe variety. Those puppies are just not ripening. Mind you, if you can buy them ripe, they taste great.

As a sidebar, I've discovered that the sound of the Vitamix at full speed freaks out my cat Jed. It’s as if the day of the apocalypse has arrived. I hope he gets used to it though because I am going to be running it often. Here’s to healthy juicing and brave cats! Is your cat afraid of your blender or juicer?



No comments:

Post a Comment