Monday, January 6, 2014

My Journey to Functional Fitness



Several years ago, we had a guest instructor come to our dojo to teach us some wrestling. His name was Scott Pepper and he was a friend of Sensei Terry’s. He was a former Canadian champion wrestler and he was a monster. I had heard this term functional fitness before but when I saw some of his exercises, I decided to experiment with them in new ways myself. I began using dumbbells in unconventional ways, holding them away from the body and moving them across different planes. The one I remember the most was one called “stirring the pot”. Moving the weight away from the body in a circular motion certainly engaged the muscles in a different way. It wasn’t long before I decided to buy some kettlebells. And then my mind exploded: I immediately loved the versatility and full-body workout you could get from using kettlebells. We began doing kettlebell workouts in class even though nobody had kettlebells. People tried to use dumbbells instead but it just wasn't the same.  So we brought in some kettlebells. They caught on fast with our students.

Around the same time, I began exploring unconventional bodyweight exercises. I am using the term unconventional but you could substitute “unorthodox” or as Terry would say “the more f**ked up, the better.” Indeed! Going beyond the limited options offered in standard gyms offered more effective ways to achieve peak physical condition.

Next, I tried the newest latest fad, suspension training, using the TRX brand. This system is also very versatile and adds a balance/stabilization component to most exercises. It can be adjusted to make an exercise easier or more difficult based on your position relative to the anchor point. It is bodyweight taken to a whole new level. I believe this fad will become a staple in the fitness industry. It is a powerful tool that almost anyone can use.

Around the same time, I discovered clubbells. I was intrigued not only with the equipment but the system of training known as Circular Strength Training. After reading some books and watching some videos, I decided to take one of the 2-day seminars being offered in the U.S. If kettlebell training is technical, clubbell training is exponentially more so due to the extended attributes of the club. The weight is multiplied by 4 when you start swinging it along different planes around the body.

A subsequent certification course in kettlebell training sealed the deal. I learned to look at exercises, be they bodyweight or using various types of equipment, as skill-building. What might look impossible to the eye, must be experienced and learned by the brain. The body will adapt and with progression, practice, and perseverance, the impossible becomes possible.

Now before I continue I should preface this by saying that my background was in traditional free weights and machines, which have served me well. It seemed functional to the extent that I was stronger and more self-sufficient than I would have been without the weight training. I learned proper form and execution of countless weight lifting exercises. I learned different weight training strategies such as periodization (used in many disciplines), pyramid, descending sets, overloading, etc. I believe this work laid a solid foundation for my martial arts training and gave me good body awareness (proprioception).  However, free weights, I discovered, had limitations for my progress. 

For many years, I thought stronger was better. And I still think so. But now I realize that getting better is even better. Learning new skills, stimulating the nervous system to evolve, the brain to become more powerful improves the sophisticated machine that is your body. And that is the journey that I find myself on today. If this sounds like something that might interest you, I invite you to join me. Join Fit FOREVER http://fitforeverottawa.com/  and discover what you are capable of. You might surprise yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment